Adventist Medical Center's skilled surgical teams have earned state-wide recognition for their outstanding quality outcomes. Our newly built operating rooms are equipped with the latest diagnostic and surgical technology, designed with high-level patient care and safety in mind.
There are three main types of surgical options
- Optional or Elective Surgery - A procdure that is not medically necessary to continue a good quality of life.
- Required Surgery - A required surgery is one that must be done to ensure quality of life in the future. Required surgery is not always an emergency and can often be schedule in advance.
- Urgent or Emergency Surgery - This type of surgery is a done in reaction to an emergency or urgent medical condition.
Advances in surgical procedures and anesthesia have made it possible for many patients to have surgery and go home on the same day. When appropriate outpatient surgery has proven to reduce stress for the patient, speed the process of healing and reduce costs.
Many more intensive surgeries still require an overnight, or longer, stay in the hospital. The hospital stay allows our staff to more closely monitor your recovery and ensures immediate attention in case of complications.
Pre-Surgery Orientation (PSO)
The Pre-Surgery Orientation (PSO) process is initiated by the surgeon's office when surgery is scheduled for a patient. Patients are given packets that include instructions on how to arrange a PSO appointment and a medical/anesthesia history form to fill out. Depending on a patient's needs, the PSO visit can last 15-60 minutes. Some patients are phoned rather than seen personally. During the visit, the PSO nurse gathers information, including medical history, pain assessment, dietary survey and instructs the patient about his/her upcoming surgery or procedure utilizing handouts, booklets and videos. Services include:
Providing education and specific instructions to all pre-op patients regarding their hospitalization.
- Expediting the admission process by having all appropriate paperwork and testing completed.
- Anticipating and initiating necessary referrals to other departments.
- Reducing patient anxiety and fear level.
Adventist Medical Center - Portland10123 SE Market StreetPortland, OR 97216