Don't Lose Your Cool this Weekend
It’s finally feeling like summer in the Northwest. As temperatures rise into the 90’s this weekend, Adventist Medical Center suggests the following tips to stay cool.
- Tackle tough tasks in the early morning, when it's generally coolest.
- While some exposure to sunlight can be enjoyable, too much can be dangerous. Overexposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun can result in a painful sunburn. Generously apply about one ounce of sunscreen to cover all exposed skin 15 minutes before going outside. Sunscreen should have a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 30 and provide broad-spectrum protection from both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) rays. Reapply every two hours, even on cloudy days, and after swimming or sweating.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing that fits loosely.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of fluids, especially water, even if you're not thirsty. Avoid caffeinated beverages or alcohol, as these will promote dehydration.
- At least twice a day, check on people at risk for heat-related illness.
- If you don't have air-conditioning, arrange to spend at least parts of the day in a shopping mall, public library, movie theater, church or other public space that is cool.
About Adventist Medical Center (AMC)
Adventist Medical Center (AMC), located in southeast Portland, is a nonprofit, 302-bed acute care facility, offering a full range of inpatient, outpatient and emergency services throughout the Portland/Vancouver metropolitan area. It is ranked in the top 5% of hospitals nationwide for patient safety. Adventist Health Medical Group represents more than 100 primary care and specialty physicians who treat and admit their patients to Adventist Medical Center .
Adventist Medical Center is part of Adventist Health, a faith-based, not-for-profit integrated health care delivery system with nearly 21,000 employees serving communities in California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington. Founded on Seventh-day Adventist health values, Adventist Health provides compassionate care in 18 hospitals, more than 135 clinics (rural health and physician clinics), 14 home care agencies and four joint-venture retirement centers. We invite you to visit AdventistHealth.org for more information.
- Public Relations: email@example.com, 503-261-4498