Brazil & Bulger Wheat Burgers
These delicious burgers are low in saturated fat and cholesterol and full of fiber. Bulgur is a quick-cooking form of whole wheat that is ready to eat with minimal cooking. This nutritious grain can be used as an alternative to rice in salads, pilafs, soups, stuffing and casseroles.
4 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 Tablespoon garlic, chopped
8 oz bulger wheat
12 oz brazil nuts
4 oz walnuts
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
8 Tablespoons tomato puree
4 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
4 Tablespoons dried mixed herbs: thyme, oregano, marjoram, sage
2 eggs, beaten
Yield: 8 Servings
- In a food processor finely chop the onion, garlic and celery.
- Separately chop nuts and set aside.
- In large skillet heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and celery. Saute until soft.
- Add the nuts and bulgur wheat then sauté for a couple of minutes until golden brown.
- Add the vegetable stock and simmer until the liquid is absorbed. About 10 - 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomato puree, parsley, herbs, and the eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape into burger patties and place on lightly oiled baking pan.
- Bake at 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Ken Krenzler, Food Service Manager
Adventist Medical Center